As a homeowner, nothing can be worse than a tree branch falling on the top of your roof. However, it is not always an emergency situation and you should be able to get back your money from your insurance company. Here’s what you should do if you are in such a situation:
1. Ensure your safety: The first thing which you should do is to make sure that you and everyone in your house is safe. After that, analyze the situation. Even if you have a slight doubt that the tree will fall further and cause more damage, then evacuate your house immediately. Don’t take any chances in such a situation. Call any of your relatives or stay at your neighbor’s house. Also check whether there are any power lines lying on the ground. Normally, in case of a big storm, power lines fall on the ground. If you see such a line and the power is still running, then consult your electricity company immediately.
2. Take photos: After ensuring your safety, your next objective should be to make sure that you get maximum money from your insurance company. They will obviously want to see some photos of the damage, Hence, before the clean up process starts, you need to take some photos. But don’t take too much risk while taking the snaps. Don’t climb on the top of your roof. The roof will be weak and may collapse any time. Hence, it will be better to take the help of a ladder. But wait till the rain stops, because it may get slippery.
3. Contact your Insurance company: Most plans generally cover damages which are caused by a storm. Hence, you should be able to get back your money. However, the insurance company will first check the condition of the tree which fell on your house. If the tree was healthy, then it won’t be a problem for you. But if the tree was rotting, then the insurance company won’t pay on the grounds that you failed to properly maintain the tree.
4. Remove the Branch: Some insurance plans will even cover the expenses required to remove the branch. However, if your plan doesn’t have such provisions, then it is up to you to remove the branch. In order to fix a roof that was hit by a tree, the best option will be to call an expert. However, that will cost you a lot of money. If you want to do it yourself, then make sure that you are taking all the necessary safety measures.
5. Inspect the damage: After getting the branch removed, you need to inspect the damage done to your roof. If the damage is huge, then it will be clearly visible from outside. But in case of minor damages, you need to visit the attic and look out for any leaks or cracks.
6. Hire a Roofer: If your roof is in need of immediate repair, then don’t delay and hire a roofer as soon as possible. Since the safety of your house is at stake, it is advisable to go for an experienced and reputed roofer. He will take all the necessary steps to repair your roof. If the damage is severe, then total roof replacement will be considered.